Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Alone in the Desert

I had a very encouraging e-mail from my friend Missy today. Missy's parents became missionaries when she was a teenager and so she can relate to the feelings I'm going through of being isolated and bored. I would like to quote her for a minute: "In America we are so spoiled with constantly being entertained that it is to our hurt spiritually. At first the culture shock of nothing to do can be a killer. Once you get past some of that you can actually enjoy the sweet fellowship with the Lord. This time there maybe hard but it also maybe some of the best times spiritually!" Thank you, Missy! Such simple, but wise words. I was so wrapped up in thinking about what I am missing out on and what I have given up. I have gone from a life of serving in many church ministries, having many responsibilities outside of my home, and many outside distractions in general, to this life of solitude. I had not considered this time as an opportunity to be distraction free and alone with my Lord. After I read Missy's message and prayed about what I had learned, the Lord brought something else to my memory. Last semester of Faith Bible Institute, Bro. Yates talked about how God prepared certain people in the Bible for ministry by sending them out into the desert for a while first to get alone with God, i.e. Moses & Jesus. Our Sunday school teacher, Brian (a.k.a. Heather's husband) expanded on this lesson as well, sharing with us that God had to send he and his family to the deserts of CA so that God could get a hold of them. So the thought struck me today: I am in the desert. Both figuratively and literally. This is my time alone with God to grow closer to him. Is he preparing me for some special ministry? I don't know. But I'll take this opportunity and see where it leads me. After all, growing closer to the Lord can only lead one direction, and that's the way I want to go. Thank you, Missy, for sharing with me, and letting me share with everyone else. Thank you, Lord, for good Christian friends and for giving me this opportunity to know you better.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I am praying for you and whatever the Lord is preparing you for. I am thankful for my time in the desert. There were so many blessing along the way! Miss you so much my friend.Love-heather

Tarrah said...

What a beautiful post! It's such a blessing to have people in your life who can make you think :). Our God is an amazing God! You are in an amazing place! And it will be so exciting to see where he takes you :)

Pen of Jen said...

Wow! I am impressed with what you have taken from the e-mail.

Isolation is very hard. We lived in Utah for 5 years and believe me it is a cold place.

Not because of the weather or climate but because of living in the midst of a cult(church of jesuschrist of latter day saints). I know that in the politically correct world that this is an inappropriate statement, but I wanted you to understand, being among many, but being alone.


You are in an amazing place where 2000 years ago, our debt was paid. I am overjoyed to think that you can walk in the very places that Jesus walked.

I live in the desert of New Mexico, and I know that it is nothing compared to where you are!

Feel free to swing over to
penofjen.blogspot.com
mcbenningschool.blogspot.com

I home school, so the 2 blogs.