Thursday, October 25, 2007

My Two Mites

When we lived in Okinawa it seemed that I was constantly using my sewing abilities to make a few dollars on the side. Sewing something on uniforms, making culottes for kids at the Christian school, minor alterations --- and there was even that one time when I created a ball gown in one evening for a desperate friend. God has always blessed us financially and I guess that's why money doesn't mean much to me. Not that I don't like money, but I just don't need it. I really have everything I want already. But, there is something about having your own money. As a family we tithe and give support to missions and give love gifts, etc. But what a blessing it is to have my own money to give just from me! Now, from a worldly point of view, I'm sure my small portion of funds won't do much towards paying the electric bill, or the pastor's salary --- but Praise God that HE can use it in a mighty way! And, much as the widow's two mites in Luke 21, I will give what I have. (Not that I'm comparing myself, mind you)
Now, this week, God has started giving me those same money-making opportunities here. I've always found it hard to put a price value on my work. Since I don't find it difficult, I don't feel like it's worth very much money for my small effort. I know that I should set a price, and I'm working on it.....but for now, I just say, "Whatever it's worth to you". For some that has meant $5 for a pair of culottes, to others that has meant $40 for a set of 3! And I praise God for all of it! This week I have "upgraded" some uniforms and to this person, my15 minutes of work was worth 200 NIS (shekels) --- that's $50!! I have two more people lined up for this same job, a flag that I've been commissioned to sew, and a lady called me yesterday wanting me to hem some pants for her kids. What I find the most amazing is that I never asked for these jobs, or advertised in any way. But God sent them my way --- not because he needs my money, but because I'm sure he delights in my giving as much as I delight in giving it. And as an added bonus for me; I get to use the money I keep to buy souvenirs and gifts for my friends and family --- another joy of mine!

We're hoping to have some guests over tomorrow night for dinner. If everything goes according to our plans, we will finally get to use those dishes purchased just for these occasions. To refresh your memories -- when we left Okinawa, several of our friends got together and purchased a large service of dinnerware and serving dishes as a going away gift for us! What a blessing!! They knew we'd be called on to entertain while we were here, and wanted to make sure we were equipped for the job! I'm not feeling too nervous about it, thankfully. I've given up on any ideas of perfection, and am just concentrating on making our guests feel welcome. I am curious to see how my dinner will be liked. My husband picked our menu: Enchiladas, homemade refried beans, Spanish rice, and salad. I must say, I make all of this pretty well, but tomorrow might be different. Two of the people I'm cooking for are Mexican! I'm sure they will appreciate the effort and the fellowship though; regardless of how the food tastes. If anything disastrous happens, I'm sure you'll be reading about it soon!
On a general health update for our family:
My husband got the flu shot yesterday, and although they say there's no way it's possible, he's mysteriously come down with the flu last night. He had to stay home from work today, slept all day, and went to bed early this evening. We're all praying that he feels better by morning, and that he keeps all of the germs to himself. ;)
We're still waiting to hear about my son's appointment for the biopsy. The insurance has been approved, and they said we should know a date by tomorrow morning.
I had a routine exam a couple of days ago and my doctor is also referring me to a dermatologist. There's a spot on my face she wants evaluated (although I'm sure it's nothing), and she wants me to talk to the doctor about an acne medication that is supposed to work really well for adults. What a great blessing that would be -- adult acne is just not pretty.
My daughter is in perfect health, Praise God!
As a final note: please keep us (and Israel) in your prayers while this whole Iran issue is being worked out. I think I wouldn't like to be here if/when they decide to bomb this country. It is comforting to know that God has known what would happen since the beginning of time, and He is in control.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you, about your sewing jobs you have. That so wonderful.

"I think I wouldn't like to be here if/when they decide to bomb this country."

That idea is frighting to me. But your right, God is in control and will protect you and your family.

Anonymous said...

How come you lived in Japan and now in Israel?

I'm doubted that Iran will bomb us anytime soon, they still have a lot of bomb developing to do before they can reach us, and if they will they will damage the Palestinians too, and I don’t think they want that. In the meantime, do you know about the stuff that's been going on is Sderot? that's really sad what's been going on there. But anyway as long as we have the support of the US I'm sure nothing bad will happen.

Good luck with your sewing business!

Pam--in America said...

"Nana" Pam --- thanks for the recommendation; I went and ordered that book from Amazon!

Din --- my husband's job isn't a secretive one, but I have to be careful as to what words I use on my blog. I don't want a lot of people finding me through Google searches. He has told me that I can say he works with the U.S. State Department. If you read between the lines and do your homework, you can probably figure out what his job is ;)
I hadn't heard of Sderot before; but I looked it up since you mentioned it. That is sad :( You're pretty close to all of that too; do you ever suffer attacks in Beersheba? BTW -- when does your time come to serve your two years in the Israeli Army?

Anonymous said...

O.K I understand.

Their missiles aren’t 'good' enough to reach Beer Sheva, yet.

I'm supposed to serve 3 years (only the girls serve 2 years), When I get 18.

HsKubes said...

What a blessing the Lord has sent your way. ;o)

Praying for all of you and for Israel.

~ Christina

Liz said...

How wonderful that God has provided you with the sewing opportunities! I like your pricing system too. It is hard to put a price on doing something you enjoy.

Your dinner menu sounds delicious!! Made me hungry for Mexican food and it's only breakfast time here. ;)