Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Kiss your pins and scissors good-bye!

This post is "dedicated" to Christina at HsKubes' Haven at Home. She and I share a common hobby/job/privilege in sewing clothes for our children. I'm going to share with you my method for cutting out patterns that will save you TONS of time and effort!

Besides the obvious sewing machine, I consider this to be one of my most valuable sewing notions. If you can only afford one; this is the one to get.

These are Olfa O'Weights. They are simply weights with prongs on the bottom so that they will grip the fabric. Since I have owned these I haven't had to pin a single pattern to my fabric. This saves time, and also saves my pattern from becoming full of holes. For some reason they are becoming hard to find online, but I did see them at this website. You might be able to find these in a store as well; but I haven't been in a craft store in years, so I don't really know what's available anymore. I have seen ideas posted on the internet about how to make your own, so that's something to look into if you can't find these, or don't want to buy them. You can use these on a regular cardboard cutting mat with your scissors, or you can take it to the next level ---- this is my favorite notion ever:

This is a self-healing cutting mat. This particular mat happens to be 35"X70" large! It comes in 3 separate pieces that clip together seamlessly. I use this for all of my cutting. It can even fit my full length dress patterns! I purchased this mat here and used a 50% off coupon, so I got a pretty good deal. Along with my weights and this mat, I cut my patterns out, not with scissors, but instead with this:

I use a small blade, only 28mm, and it gets in all of the curves and small places very easily. But you could use any rotary cutter that you prefer. I will never go back to using pins and scissors to cut out my fabric. You would not believe how much time this saves! It used to take me a good 30 minutes or more to cut out a pair of culottes, but with this method, I can get 4 pair cut out in that same amount of time! Something for you to consider!

13 comments:

HsKubes said...

Ooh, Pam, I love it!
I'll have to be on the look-out for those weights.
I have a cutting mat but it isn't large enough. Actually, I had become so accustomed to pinning and cutting that I forgot about the option to use the mat and rotary cutter! I'll be looking for my next coupon in the mail. My daughter, especially, will love this. She does not like cutting/pinning at all. And this sure would help my hands out, too.
I love the size of your cutter. Great idea, as well.
Thanks so much for sharing!

~ Christina

Grafted Branch said...

I'd never heard of these. Pinning and cutting is so very tedious that I never attempt to cut and sew on the same day!

Amy ~ (Life's Small Treasures) said...

Here from Christina's blog~That is such a great tool! Thanks for sharing it with us.
~Amy

Mrs. Taft said...

Also here from Christina's blog. What a great tool! I know what *I* want for Christmas, LOL!

Laura said...

Hey Pam! I just told Wade that I wanted the cutting mat for Christmas!! I having been "coveting" for a while and I have a lot of sewing to do for Brittany for college! I am all about work smarter not harder. I hav etold him about the coupons from Joann's I also get an additional 15% off from a teachers card!!! YEAH! I have started sewing in earnest again. I had Sachiko in Okinawa, I got spoiled!
Love
Laura
PS Pray for Britt she is, as we speak, on a plane, by herself, to college!!! (just for a visit!) We all got teary as she left.

Pam--in America said...

Wow, by the sound of your comments, I need to go buy some stock in the Olfa company! LOL! I hope you all love this method as much as I do.

Laura!! Brittany, in college?! That's going to get me teary-eyed too! I will pray for her; and for you. E-mail me and let me know where she'll be going!
Oh, and I'm sure you got spoiled with Sachiko ;) She is an awesome seamstress! But, then again, I'm sure you are too!

HOPE said...

and WHO do you think sent me a set of these for my b'day...THANK YOU..I agree..the best thing since Peach Jam! and I love Peach Jam! LOL

when I got the ladies together for the NICU coverlets to make..they all looked at me like hoot owls..WHAT are those? donuts! LOL

I love the sewing space put here on your BLOG...could you keep it going for lessons...mmm? QUILTING! online with Pam!

Courtney, Jer.33:3 said...

Those are really neat!!1 I've never cut out fabric with a rotary cutter before. Does it actually work with out bunching the fabric??

Heather said...

((((((PAM!!!)))))How I have missed you my friend :) I was SO bummed I missed your call. Brian got us a laptop (at a mega discount) to use since our PC crashed. Notice I haven't even made it to my email yet...LOVE the new look!! It is just beautiful :) Catch up with you soon!! Love you all-Heather

Pam--in America said...

Hope, I'm glad you like the weights too. I wondered if we shared the opinion!

Courtney, no, it doesn't bunch up the fabric -- if you do it right ;) you do have to hold the fabric still sometimes, but that's not hard to do.

HEATHER!!!!! I was so excited to see you're back in action! I'll be calling you today; probably before you even read this ;)

~~Deby said...

oh my goodness..on my Christmas list...these look wonderful..and I am so wanting to get back into sewing...like for a long time...and I am enjoying your blog SOOOOO much, Pam
Deby

~~Deby said...

I was just at a sewing convention and bought a set of the 4 small ones..they were $13.50...then 1/2 off of that...that was a blessing
Deby

Anonymous said...

You are going to think I am crazy, but I would love your pins and scissors. Do you still have any? I don't even have enough pins to pin on one pattern piece. Having pins and scissors would be a step up for me. I did have some Fiskars but they were stolen.