First, there was Passover a few weeks ago, and that celebration was a week long.
Then, last Thursday there was Yom Ha'Shoa (Holocaust Memorial Day), which commemorates the millions of Jews who died in the Holocaust, as well as the acts of heroism that saved many others. On this day the air raid siren blared throughout Jerusalem for one minute in remembrance of this great tragedy.
Yesterday, May 7th, was Yom Ha'Zikaron (Israeli Memorial Day). This is a Memorial Day for soldiers who lost their lives in battle for the creation of the State of Israel, and for the soldiers who've died subsequently defending the State. Throughout the entire day, places of entertainment, restaurants, and shops are closed by law, unlike in America, in which Memorial Day is often used simply as an excuse for another sale. The radio and television stations play programs about Israel's wars and show programming that convey the somber mood of the day. The air raid siren is played twice, and all activity, including traffic, immediately ceases. People get out of their cars, even in the middle of otherwise busy highways, and stand in respect for the sacrifice of those who died. The first siren marks the beginning of Memorial Day and the second is sounded immediately prior to the public recitation of prayers in military cemeteries.
Today, May 8th, is Yom Ha'Atzmaut (Israeli Independence Day), which is a celebration in honor of the founding of the State of Israel in May, 1948. I feel very privileged to be here during their 60th year! (officially) Today, much like America's Independence Day, many Israelis will be outside barbecuing and there will be many celebrations all over the country. For weeks we have seen Israeli flags sold everywhere.... people always seem to become more patriotic at these times. Although, I have to say, all year round in Jerusalem we see flags hung outside of almost every home and business; many, many citizens here have come from other countries, and they truly appreciate being Israeli. Tonight there will be fireworks (this actually happens quite frequently here), and this morning there was an air show by the Israeli Air Force. The house we live in has such an amazing view of the city; we are really so blessed. The kids and I stood outside on our balcony and watched the whole show! Here's a couple of pics:

If you click to enlarge you can see the planes a little better. Actually, we got to see this show twice. They were practicing a couple of days ago and we got to watch it then as well. On that day they actually flew right over our house! The kids (and I) were pretty excited about that; they looked so close!.We are getting to experience so many things that I never dreamed possible. Have I mentioned lately how thankful I am to be living here!!??


7 comments:
Both Holocaust Memorial Day and Israeli Memorial Day are really sad days. If you'd watched the Israeli TV on those days you'd seen all the movies and shows that were broadcasted. In the Memorial Day, which was just yesterday there were like always these perpetuation movies about the soldiers who lost their lives during the years, all are just hurt wrenching. And then on Wednesday evening there's of course the Independence Day and the transition that's being made between sadness and happiness is really hard, especially for all the families who lost their sons.
The celebrations in Jerusalem are always the most impressive ones, I'm happy you like them, hope you'll be here next year to see them again :)
Lag Ba'omer is next, btw.
Thanks for the info concerning those special days for Israel. The way they celebrate Memorial Day puts us Americans to shame.
Happy Birthday Israel!!
I saw on Din's blog that is was Israel's 60th birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ISRAEL!! I am only five years older than Israel.WOW!
Yes, you are very blessed to be living there and experiencing all that you are. I will never see it in real but I have learned a lot by seeing it through your eyes. Thank you Pam. Sunday is Mother's Day here, I don't know if you all celebrate it there or not at this time or even if you do. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, PAM. You are a great Mother. love you, connie from Texas
Sounds like a very busy month!! I can't imagine what it must be like to be living there!
Jess
(did you get my 2nd e-mail?)
Wow! I am so excited that you and your family are getting to experience all these things.
Happy Mother's Day
I love being able to experience all these neat things through your blog! It is very exciting just reading about your experiences. These particular ones you mentioned sound like ones I'd probably cry over...especially hearing the siren..so sad.
I am so glad you popped over from Heather's site - as I said, I love having new visitors! I am going to have to go back into your archives to learn why you live in Israel, and other places, it seems. My brother, who lives in England, has been to Israel many times and loves going there. In fact, he spent his Sabbatical in Jerusalem recently. He is an amazing writer, so we always enjoy his pilgrimages.
Please come again! I'm a p.k. who has lived in lots of different places (none very unusual), but have livd in this house now for almost 30 years, so we are quite entrenched!
Post a Comment